Tuesday, January 1, 2013

My future is as bright as my sequin dress.


As the holiday season comes to a close, and couples everywhere go into hibernation to prepare for their pièce de résistance (known to the general public as Valentine’s Day), us poor single chumps are banding together for our one shot at remedying the past month of lonely strolls filled with Christmas lights and chilly mitten-clad hands, left unheld and neglected. Fear not, my single friends. New Year’s Eve is upon us. A night of mayhem, midnight kisses and magic.

Always the best night of the year, filled with epic stories and beautiful people. The perfect capstone to rest the hope and dreams of another year…

….oh wait. It’s New Years Eve. None of that happens. You only wish it did.

I sat at work in anticipation, thinking about how my night would go. Clearly, I would have the perfect hair day, despite the rain and the 7am shower that would have to last through the night, my makeup would be radiant, and my outfit the perfect compliment to the witty banter I would surely be spitting. If I could just get this right, start my 2013 off with a bang, then I’d hit the motherload. The pinnacle of what my awesome single twenties are supposed to look like. They do it in the movies, dude. I can pull it off.

This was my year. After ringing in the last 5 years by shooting stuff in the country, I thought I would dawn my sequined attire and see what midnight looks like when accompanied by champagne, some super sweet hats and an outfit that can be seen from space. Oh I’m sorry….is my dress blinding you? No, that isn’t the sun. It is the soft glow of 10000 sequins shimmering with anticipation at how many compliments I will get because I look so fly. Easy, my sparkly friends, your time will come. At midnight. When that poor unsuspecting bloke gets lured into my clutches (errrr embrace) because his retinas are momentarily rendered useless. We would enter into a coy chat peppered with obscure pop culture references and clever metaphors, he impressed with my breadth of knowledge and wicked cool shoes, I, with his poise and ability to do the Dougie, while still looking like a Kennedy. It would be perfect. Obviously…it’s NYE.

Though imagination has its place, mine seems to kick into overdrive, setting absurd expectations to moments that have not yet come and will more than likely never come to be. Planning conversations, dates, outfits, meals, and interactions, quite possibly months before they are set to take place, I become a controlling crazy person, trying to stack the odds in my favor. My unwarranted expectations are the cause of majority of the tear-filled nights that dot my past. And no night holds more excited expectation than New Year’s Eve. You don’t just dawn sequins for nothing. They are fancy pants….literally.

Since single women tend to be on the eternal relationship advice panel with their not-so-single friends, I hear the stories of repeated disappointment in Girl World. ‘He didn’t tell me I looked pretty when I got dressed up.’ ‘He didn’t propose when I thought he would.’ ‘It’s our anniversary and all I got was dinner at the burger place instead of at the new bistro I’ve been hinting at for months.’ ‘When he commented on my new haircut he said it looks good….not great. I wanted him to say great. He knows that. He hates it. And me.’

So many unfulfilled expectations. Set by us. Covering our hurt hearts with a cloud of repellant that leaves us broken and incapable of the unanticipated adventure that could be lingering just out of our reach. We create our own prisons on a daily basis, walled in by a false reality that does no one any good.

I really hope guys don’t do this….because some day, one of us is going to have to be sane…and we all know it’s not going to be this girl.

As I drove to Austin, stressing about the 43 minute delay when the only place I had to be was the hotel, I realized that my expectations will be the undoing of my yet-to-start perfect NYE. Instead of doing something with the outcome at the forefront of my mind, I vowed to fly by the seat of my pants, going wherever the night took me, my only goal, enjoying my evening. And guess what? It worked.

Facebook is littered with resolutions, each haunted by the ghost of an unmet expectation. Rather than resolve what TO DO this year, I am giving up my own expectations. Giving up my plans for the future, in order to truly experience my now, my current, my life. Losing the weight of a constant need for control and gaining the unexpected surprises that God wants to bless us all with.

“My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him.” Psalm 62:5

In the end, my expecation-less escapade turned out just fine. Best night of my life? Probably not. One for the books? Sure. I was merely one in a sea of sequins, a Richard Simmons-worthy gang, carefully scampering down the streets in shoes as equally awesome as mine. I met some people. Hugged some necks. Laughed a lot. Danced a jig or two. And gained some memories I can be proud of.

When I drop the baggage of trying to create the perfect moment and give up the reins for once in my life, its incredible where you can end up. In a bar with old friends, the American Legion with new friends, or sitting in the back of a cab being a friend to a driver who’s having a less than perfect evening. Our own creations are so small compared to the path God has laid out for us. My resolution is to get out of His way.

No comments:

Post a Comment